Welcome to the #1 Volvo S90 Forum and Volvo S90 community dedicated to Volvo S90 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Volvo S90 Forum today!

T5 vs T6

Reactions
I have ordered a T5 engine in my V90. I grueled over this decision. I found the T6 engine to be noisier and not as smooth as the T5. I also thought I was going to be able to burn regular octane instead of premium fuel like the T6. This was documented in several articles I read. But I have since researched an online owners manual that says both T5 and T6 engines require premium 91 octane fuel. What do you guys think? Is the T5 smoother and quieter? Can I run regular octane in a T5?

Diegojc

Reactions
City
Jersey City
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Volvo V90 CC T5
What did you wind up doing? I just picked my v90 T5 3 weeks ago and being putting 87 octane but read the manual just now calling for 91...

Reactions
I picked up my V90 T5 in Sweden and was told by the people that delivered it to me that I must put 91 octane premium fuel in it when I got it home to the we USA. So I have done that. I have found that the car gets excellent gas mileage and the tank is small so it doesn't cost much to fill up with premium and I don't have to fill up very often. The car is smooth and relatively quiet, although the 4 cylinder will never be as quiet as the 6 I had been driving. How do you like your new wagon?

Diegojc

Reactions
City
Jersey City
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Volvo V90 CC T5
I like your logic on cost and size. I am going to make the switch. Why hurt long term performance after all with lower octane.

Really like the v90. It’s great vehicle and t5 has plenty of pep. I don’t really notice noise because I am blasting music anyway.

The other thing there aren’t many v90s around on the road so I have at least 2 head turns or questions about it a day.

Thanks again for the comments. Enjoy your wheels.