City
Montclair
State
NJ
Country
United States
What I Drive
2019 Xc90 T6 Momentum
Hi there - have a year and a half old XC90 T6, 2019. Earlier this week we had a big rainstorm and upshot is intellisafe/mirror dripping water, headliner on passenger side damp and floor front passenger footwell soaking wet. Dropped at dealer this morning and they said they had seen this before and would do the work under warranty. 4 hours later dealer calls me and tells me that sunroof drains were blocked due to leaves and dirt and they would need to take out and dry headliner and carpets. Not covered under warranty as not manufacturing and I should have cleared the drains? Said it was going to cost $2,900 to fix. Totally shocked - car is less than 2 years old, under warranty and barely used since last service in August by them. I called Volvo USA but dealer said they wouldn’t help me. Waiting to hear back from Volvo. Thoughts/anyone seen this before? Thanks

dloftis

Reactions
State
NC
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 volvo xc90, 2006 VW Beetle cov
This does not help you but my sharkfin antenna is leaking and dealership is replacing the seal ($30 part and $450 labor to drop the headliner- 3 hours). The dealership made the statement that typically the sunroofs leak at some point in their lives. Yours seems early for a leak to me but don't know the history (parked under trees, etc.).

SwissXC90

Reactions
City
Cross Country
State
Non-US
Country
Switzerland
Hi there - have a year and a half old XC90 T6, 2019. Earlier this week we had a big rainstorm and upshot is intellisafe/mirror dripping water, headliner on passenger side damp and floor front passenger footwell soaking wet. Dropped at dealer this morning and they said they had seen this before and would do the work under warranty. 4 hours later dealer calls me and tells me that sunroof drains were blocked due to leaves and dirt and they would need to take out and dry headliner and carpets. Not covered under warranty as not manufacturing and I should have cleared the drains? Said it was going to cost $2,900 to fix. Totally shocked - car is less than 2 years old, under warranty and barely used since last service in August by them. I called Volvo USA but dealer said they wouldn’t help me. Waiting to hear back from Volvo. Thoughts/anyone seen this before? Thanks
The dealer is correct. It is the owners responsibility to ensure the sunroof drains stay free of debris.
I clean mine once a year, but I also park in a garage and not under trees.

A 1.5 year old car with blocked sunroof drains must have organic matter falling on the roof all the time for it to be blocked like that. But in some areas, and with some trees, you can block drains easily.

Note that if you do not remove and dry the carpet and headliner, then you will have mould starting, followed by early onset corrosion, and potential havoc with corroded wiring loom connectors and modules. It will get smelly and more expensive.

The first gen XC90 has, at the lowest part of the car, a yaw sensor installed. This was the first module to suffer and die when the car would fill up with water due to blocked sunroof drains. But many other cars suffer the same issues when drains get blocked.

I have suffered floods in my time through blocked drains, and they are always a real nuisance. Be it houses, cars or properties. The only thing I can say is keep your drains clear and free flowing. A little bit of preventative maintenance goes a very very long way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WallyD

Reactions
City
Carmichael
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T6
To All - (re: our 2016 Volvo XC90 T6):

We have had a very unpleasant experience with clogged sunroof drains causing in excess of $5,000 in damage and presenting significant driver/passenger safety issues. These issues are presented with photos in our NHTSA complaint #11417805 - here is a link the attachment.....

https://static.nhtsa.gov/complaints/11417805/11417805-0003.pdf

I also would like to note that this forum link to "terms and privacy", failed to function during my registration this morning 6/7/21.

WallyD

WallyD

Reactions
City
Carmichael
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2016 Volvo XC90 T6